I don’t know about you, but ever since I was a little kid, I have LOVED chocolate mousse!
Sure, I have an enormous weakness for chocolate pudding too, but there’s something about mousse that gives it the edge over pudding.
The creaminess! The lightness. The – what is it (?) – the AIRINESS about it! Oh my!
The recipe here for this creamy, dreamy delight begs to be made if only because of how easy it is; how can you NOT make it?
Just four main ingredients, it comes together in a jiffy.
Have it for dessert on any night of the week.
And of course, be sure you have plenty of servings on hand in your lineup of Christmas dinner desserts.
Then watch, and smile, as your guests dive in to this velvety treat!
Any discussions around the table will cease; the room will fall silent as everyone digs into their serving, savoring every spoonful, making percussive, crystal-like clinks from their spoons against the glass!
Creamy Easy Chocolate Mousse
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Chill time: 2 hours
Yields 6 servings
2½ cup heavy cream, divided
8 oz. high-quality semi-sweet chocolate chips or baking chocolate
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp orange zest, preferably organic*
The orange zest adds a really nice pop of flavor to this recipe.
Optional add-ons, when serving:
Whipped cream, maraschino cherries, and/or mandarin orange slices
- Heat 1 cup of heavy cream with chocolate chips over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until chips have melted. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and sugar with a hand-held mixer at medium speed for 3-minutes.
- While mixing on the same setting as above, slowly add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture. Stir in the orange zest, if using. Once combined, pour back into the pan used to melt the chocolate. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly before transferring to the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
- Once chilled, whip the remaining heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the chilled chocolate into the whipped cream until thoroughly combined. The mixture should have a fluffy consistency. .
- To serve, spoon chocolate mousse into a piping bag and pipe into small dessert dishes. Top with whipped cream and maraschino cherries or mandarin oranges, if desired. Enjoy!
As the directions above state, make a professional, smooth presentation by piping the mousse into the serving glasses. Get inexpensive disposable piping bags here.
Love making chocolate desserts?
Find a huge selection of chocolate recipe books here! These will keep you busy for, like, YEARS! =)
Other Easy Chocolate Mousse Recipes
This video shows you two other simple ways to make chocolate mousse. It compares 3-ingredient mousse to 4-ingredient mousse.
Give it a try!